It’s only four short days until International Star Wars Day.
I’m not sure how I missed this, but May the Fourth is the official Star Wars holiday celebrated by hundreds of thousands of fans around the world. In case you missed it too, it goes something like this, “May the Fourth be with you.”
In 2014, May the Fourth lands on a Sunday, so I thought it would be fun to ask the question, is Star Wars in the Bible ,or if you prefer, is the Bible in Star Wars?
I know that George Lucas does not profess to be a Christian, but is it possible that he got some of his inspiration from the Bible?
When I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I was convinced that there is more than a few references to Christianity.
Lets take a look at a few:
● Obi-Wan Kenobi sacrifices his life for Luke.
● Dark Side of the Force vs. the Good Side of the Force.
● The Battle between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi reminds me of the battle between Christ and Lucifer.
● Obi-Wan Kenobi’s line, “Strike me down Darth and I will come back more than you can possibly imagine.”
● When Luke, Han and Obi-Wan first see the Death Star they think it’s a planet. The concept of a spaceship that is the size of a small planet reminds me of the New Jerusalem in Revelation chapter 21, “So He took me in the Spirit to a great high mountain, and He showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.”
The Bible says it is a perfect cube 1400 miles long, 1400 miles side and 1400 miles high. That sounds like a small planet coming down from heaven to dock with planet earth.
I like to leverage the popularity of culture to get people thinking about church, so in honor of International Star Wars Day we are having a Star Wars Costume Contest.
We will have cool prizes for the best adult, teenage and kid costumes. The winner of the adult costume will get a Hasbro Signature Series FX Light Saber.
I will be preaching a sermon on Destiny. Darth Vader has a destiny for you and Jesus has a destiny for you. The choice is up to you which destiny to follow.
I heard a rumor that Chewbacca will be on the drums so you don’t want to miss this it.