What You’ll Learn: If you want to be a leader, you must know where you are going.
- Ten pieces of paper the same size
- Trash can
- Masking tape
- 4 Contestants
- 1 prize for winner
- Wad up 10 pieces of paper into “paper balls.”
- Place the trash can on the table in the front of the room so everyone can see.
- Put down a piece of masking tape on the floor, 8 feet from the trash can for a “foul line.”
- Select 4 contestants to compete.
- See who can get the most “paper balls” into the “goal” (trash can).
- Each contestant goes one at a time.
- Keep score.
Have you ever played basketball? What do you think about before you shoot the ball? (Allow
for a response.)
This is what I do. I get a picture in my mind of the ball going through the hoop. If I find myself thinking negative thoughts like, “I’m going to miss” then I usually miss. If I want to be successful in basketball, I need to know where the goal is and I need to see myself shooting the ball through the goal. If you want to be a successful leader, you need to have a vision. You need to know where you are going.
I remember one time I called all of my friends and said, “Let’s start a club.” We started a club and voted on who was president and vice- president but then nothing happened after that. Why? The “club” did not have a purpose. We weren’t doing anything. Ask yourself these questions:
- What do you see yourself doing?
- Where do you see yourself going?
- What are your goals for the future?
- What are your dreams?
- What is the next step?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you are not ready to be a leader. The good news is that God knows the answers to these questions. All you have to do is spend time with God, talk to Him and listen to what He says.
Click here to download – LEADERSHIP Lesson 2: Trash Can Basketball